Hyperion LED’s & Nagios (Part 1)

Part 1 is more Background story on my use of WS2801 WS2812b and Hyperion with the Raspberry Pi. Skip to Part 2 for the techy bit.

I’ve been using Hyperion for a while. I setup light behind the TV first off (using sticky tape) WS2801 and RaspBMC. This work brilliantly and I loved it. Spent hours tweaking the config so the LED’s were picking up the correct colour to the screen.

With all that working and a length of LED’s left over I decided to run some up the stairs. They sit just under the banister lip so you can’t see them, just the light on the stairs. I set these to Rainbow swirl and let it. They’re been running for months, occasionally changing the effect to show off what they can do.

Then disaster struck, the power adapter stopped working. Have to be honest I didn’t really notice until I was going to bed at 2am and almost fell over. They’ve been there giving off light (possibly a bit bright if anything) and I just got used to being able to see in the middle of the night without any other lights.

Anyway I digress, ordering a new power adapter I went searching for more LED’s (yes you can’t have enough of them once you’ve been playing). I decided that I’d really like to run some in my bedroom, the effects are cool and there would be plenty of light I wont need to use the main light with them on.

So I looking at where I originally bought my WS2801’s and nothing 🙁 so off to google, the obvious thing was I was going to have a hard time sourcing them in the UK. but why they’re great. So off I went to the hyperion git site for info and found there’s newer versions WS2811 and WS2812b. ah that may help, another search and I found someone selling a load on ebay. So I bought all he had 3xreels of WS1812b’s.

They turned up and I connected them up to try them as directed by hyperion. It was at this point I read the important bits RPi2 isn’t working yet and there maybe a problem with the PI communicating with them due to the voltage. I really thought I was going to have to make another little circuit to (buffer?) get them working. As a last ditched attempt it was mentioned try removing the resistor and try running them direct from python. I did both at the same time (not the best decision for troubleshooting. But to my surprise they worked.

So I killed the python program and restart hyperion, yep they’re working.

So off I went to stick them to the ceiling (they have sticky tape on the back). Done. If only I’d thought about connecting them before I stuck them up. I now had to work up in the air joining the cables. Not to worry I’ve done worse.

So I go to get what I need, by the time I got back up they’ve come down 🙁 bloody gravity! Now you’d think at this point I’d connect them up and sort out attaching them later Nope! (didn’t even enter my head) I was now on track to get them to stay up. Enter ‘SuperGlue’, applied little dots along the strip and stuck them up (yes I glued my fingers to the ceiling too). Finally they’re up and staying there. Oh I should have connected them when they were down!

‘Bugger it, where’s my screw driver’ I connected them up, put a power connector on the end and powered them and the PI.

Then installed hyperion on yet another pi. and it all worked like magic.

Have a look at the video, there’s no light other than the TV and it’s dark outside, but the room is really bright.


Click here for Part 2

2 thoughts on “Hyperion LED’s & Nagios (Part 1)”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *